Information About Various Sports In This One Blog
Thursday, April 26, 2007
Simple Golf Tip Technique To Slice Strokes From Your Game


I am a big fan of Tim Gallwey's "The Inner Game Of Golf". The following golf tip technique is one I stole from his book. I've tried it, it worked, and I wanted to pass it along.

Part of what makes golf so complex is undoubtedly the mental part of the game. There is constant battle for that time on the course to get your mind focused, alert, and relaxed. To me, it always seems when I win that battle - if you really can "win" it - then I play better golf. But, as anyone knows that has ever picked up a club, that is easier said than done.

A large part, for me, of enjoying myself on the course (and thus playing better) is letting go when something 'bad' has happened. If you allow yourself to ruminate over a poor shot, that has a domino effect that can destroy your round. Tension takes hold of your game, and there isn't a thing that seems to go right afterwards. Been there?

Here is a very simple golf tip technique by Gallwey that I used for some great results. It doesn't take a lot of time or effort, but stabilizes your focus while playing golf.

The golf tip technique is to simply associate or remember a simple task while having a 'difficult' task in front of you.

For instance, when you have a 15 foot putt staring you in the face, instead of thinking, "Oh God, I never make these damn things", associate the shot with a simple task in your mind.

That simple task should be something you can do without a chance of failure. An example would be pulling the putter from the golf bag. By vibrantly associating the supposed 'difficult' putt with the simple task of pulling the putter from the bag, you've taken away the association of the dreaded act of 'failure' that is currently in place.

Just make certain that the task you associate with the 'difficult' one is something you cannot possibly fail. Gallwey's suggested the simple act of picking the golf ball up from the hole, but you can make it anything easy and simple that you wish.

This golf tip technique takes away the tension that seems to mount when things begin to go bad on the golf course. It actually give you a fresh start with each 'difficult' circumstance that confronts while playing a round of golf.

And, I don't know about you, but I'm all about those fresh starts. I can use a lot of them.

Labels: ,

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home


Digg ItDel.icio.us
Furl ItReddit
WistsGoogle
RSS ATOM
ARCHIVES
March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 /


Powered by Blogger